A wide variety of timber external cladding products are available, including solid timber boards in a range of profiles and species, timber shingles or shakes and various types of plywood and exterior grade hardboard in plain or surface textured sheets or planks.
When choosing the type to use there are a number of points which must be considered:
- The appearance required by architectural style;
- Availability and cost;
- Ease of installation and maintenance;
- Prevailing climate and thermal performance required for the building;
- The importance of additional strength given to the structure by some types of cladding and
- Local government regulations or statutory requirements.
Reference: NAFI timber manual, Timber Datafile FP1 - Timber External Cladding.